Scholarships for Indian students to study abroad are offered from hundreds of colleges, institutes, and governments.
Scholarships are often merit-based, need-based, subject-specific, or targeted towards minority groups in order to help them succeed.
Finding the greatest scholarships may be time-consuming, which is why we’ve compiled a list of scholarships for Indian students to study abroad in various countries.
The Indian Central Government has offered various scholarships for higher education in abroad.
The Department of Higher Education, a part of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, India, is responsible for handling the scholarship application and approval process.
Not all the scholarships in the list are provided by the Indian government; some are fully sponsored while others are partially sponsored. The majority of the awards are for research, master’s, and doctoral degrees.
Here’s the list of best Scholarships to Study Abroad for Indian Students.
1. Inlaks Scholarships
The Inlaks scholarship helps young people from a variety of areas to study abroad. The selected applicants will be able to continue their study at international universities.
Inlaks scholarships are given to Indian students who desire to study full-time at top universities in the United States, Europe or the United Kingdom. The Royal College of Art (RCA) London, Imperial College London, the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) London and Cambridge University have all collaborated with the organisation.
The goal is to inspire applicants with exceptional abilities to achieve in their fields. The Inlaks scholarship is open to candidates who want to study for a master’s, M.Phil., or doctoral degree in a foreign country.
Expenses covered under the scholarship:
- The complete tuition cost
- housing expenses
- one-way travel allowance
- health allowance
Amount of scholarships: The Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation scholarship provides up to $100,000 to eligible individuals.
Engineering, Computer Science, Business Studies, Medicine, Dentistry and related therapies, Public Health, Fashion Design, Music, Film and Film Animation courses cannot apply to the Inlaks scholarship. Moreover, only Imperial College in London offers the Inlaks fellowship to engineering and natural science students. Those interested in pursuing western classical singing in music or documentary filmmaking in film can also apply for the scholarship.
- Only Indian citizens are eligible for the Inlaks Scholarship.
- Applicants must have an excellent academic record.
- Candidates must have resided in India for the previous six months prior to applying.
- They should have received their education from a government-approved institution.
- Students applying art and design will be evaluated mostly on the basis of their portfolios.
- Candidates should be no older than 30 years old.
Students who have not been admitted to a foreign college or whose admissions have not yet been confirmed will not be eligible for an Inlaks scholarship.
How to Apply for the Scholarship?
Before applying for the scholarship, individuals should make sure that they follow all of the criteria. Students must apply for the Inlaks scholarship online. If the issue occurs on online process, they can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot.
2. Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships
Talented and dedicated Indian students with appropriate work experiences can apply for Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships. In addition to work experience and academic credentials, these students must demonstrate notable leadership qualities. The fellowship is provided for one or two years, based on the duration of the master’s degree programme selected at a US university.
This fellowships is a merit-based and need-based program offered by the United States-India Educational Foundation. Accident and sickness expenses are covered according to US government requirements. This scholarship also covers the cost of a round-trip economy class fare.
- The scholarship is only for those students who have completed a degree that is comparable to a bachelor’s degree in the United States.
- Academic Qualification: Minimum 55% or higher in an undergraduate degree
- This involves completing a four-year bachelor’s, master’s, or postgraduate diploma programme.
- Skills: Leadership skills and community service experience.
- Professional Experience: Minimum of 3-years full-time (paid) experience in the related field of study.
- Full-time postgraduate diploma
How to Apply
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships applications are accepted through an online process. Visit their website and create an account. Provide personal details and click “Continue”.
3. Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme
Each year, the Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of postgraduate scholarships to outstanding students from select developing countries who have no other means of funding their studies, with the goal of developing effective scholars and leaders and preparing them for employment.
It is one of the most sought-after Indian government study abroad scholarships for Indian students to study abroad. The selected students will receive tuition fees and living expenses under this scholarship.
The Foundation prioritises requests for Master’s level courses, but will consider PhD applications only in the case of exceptional students who have been highly recommended for doctoral studies by their professors and who require a PhD to achieve their career goals.
Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique are among the nations that the Foundation accepts applications from.
Students who get this scholarship will receive a 50 percent grant and a 50 percent loan.
- The display consistently excellent academic records
- Applications for Master’s programmes are given preference.
- Short-term programmes, such as certificates and postgraduate degrees, may require you to check out different scholarship opportunities.
- Not be more than 30 years of age
- The field of study’s relevance to AKDN’s main areas
- To be eligible for a scholarship, you must prove a genuine need for financial assistance.
- Applicants should have a few years of work experience in their chosen field.
How to Apply
Collect the application form from AKF offices or Aga Khan Education Services/Boards, January 1 onwards. Submit the complete application before 21st March (5:00 PM IST). Please visit their official website to confirm the deadlines before you apply.
4. National Overseas Scholarship for SC Students
A national overseas scholarship programme provides financial assistance to students seeking higher education abroad.
This scholarship, offered by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for students from the Scheduled Caste (SC), denotified nomadic & semi-nomadic tribes, landless agricultural labourers and traditional artisan category students.
Students interested in pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree at a prestigious foreign university may apply for a national overseas scholarship. There are 100 fellowships given in a year. Female students are eligible for 30% of the total number of National Overseas Scholarships available.
- Attendance fees
- medical insurance
- travel expenses
- other additional charges
- Students must pass all essential exams in order to study abroad at Boston University, Harvard University, University of Iowa, and other schools.
- For master’s degrees, a minimum of 55 percent or the equivalent at the undergraduate level is required
- For a doctorate, a minimum of 55% or its equivalent at the master’s level is required.
- Applicants must be below 35 years.
- Only two children from the same parent can get the benefit of the National Overseas Scholarship.
It is important that applicants get the required minimum score on examinations such as IELTS, PTE, GMAT, GRE and others.
You may also like: Scholarship Exams to Study Abroad after 12th
How to Apply
The application form for the National Overseas Scholarship will be accessible on the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment’s official website starting in the first week of April. Within the specified time, students must submit a completed application along with all the relevant documents. Documents rquired are as follows:
- Proof of date of birth
- all degree/ diploma/ certificate along with mark sheets
- income certificate of family
- admit/offer letter from college/ university
5. Great Wall Program
The Great Wall Program is a complete scholarship created by the Chinese Ministry of Education for UNESCO to finance students and academics from developing countries to study and do research in China.
So, this is the scholarship for Indian students desire to study in China.
This is a complete scholarship, therefore tuition, housing, comprehensive medical insurance, and a stipend are all covered. Scholarship holders who are accepted into Chinese-taught programmes but lack acceptable Chinese proficiency must get CSC and UNESCO permission for one academic year of Chinese language study. This scholarship covers one academic year of study.
When to apply?
You need to apply between early January and early April.
- Students seeking for this scholarship must be under 45 years old and hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree or its equivalent.
- When applying for the senior scholar programmes, you must have a master’s degree or be an associate professor or higher, must be under the age of 50.
- Applicant must not be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China
- Applicant must be fit both physically and mentally
- English proficiency is required.
How to Apply
Read the Announcement letter for the UNESCO/China Co-Sponsored Fellowships Programme 2020-2021 carefully, especially the accompanying ANNEX II, to understand the conditions for qualified candidates and the application processes.
- Check about the application procedures at the national level with your country’s National Commission for UNESCO.
- Prepare your application documentation (in English or Chinese) in accordance with the ANNEX II requirements.
- Submit your application to the National Commission for UNESCO of your country.
6. Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
Researchers working on climate change studies and research are supported by the Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship programme. The goal is to do this via increasing technical and scientific research scholar education.
Energy Studies, Earth Sciences, Geology, Environmental Sciences, Renewable Energy, Smart Cities, Agriculture, Public Policy, Environmental Engineering and Disaster Resilient Infrastructure are just a few of the topics covered by Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowships.
For doctoral research, these fellowships are for Indian scholars enrolled in a Ph.D. programme in an Indian institution. The fellowships last between six and nine months.
For postdoctoral research, these scholarships are for Indian faculty who are just starting out in their careers as researchers in India. The Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowships will give brilliant academics and researchers the chance to improve their research capabilities. Postdoctoral scholars will get access to some of the best resources in their fields and will contribute to the development of long-term collaborative partnerships with professors and institutions in the United States. These fellowships last from eight to twenty-four months.
For academic and professional excellence, these scholarships are intended to give opportunities for Indian faculty, researchers, and professionals to teach, conduct research, or combine teaching and research at a U.S. university. Fellowships range from four to nine months in term. If you apply for a Flex Award, the overall award must be for a minimum of four months and a maximum of six months.
Eligibility Criteria for the scholarship
Applicants seeking a Ph.D. should have done appropriate study in the relevant topic, particularly in identifying resources in India and the United States. On or before November 2, 2020, the applicant must be registered for a Ph.D. in an Indian university.
This scholarship is for Ph.D. students who need to undertake research for their dissertations or thesis. As a result, the Ph.D. thesis should be submitted at least three months after the Fulbright-Kalam award ends.
If the applicant is working, he or she must carefully follow the employer’s endorsement requirements. The employer must confirm that leave during the fellowship time will be given. The “Employer’s Endorsement Form” may be downloaded from the USIEF website.
In the online application form, the candidate must provide a copy of the original published/presented paper or extracts from the Masters’/M.Phil. thesis (not exceeding 20 pages).
Applicants must have holds a Ph.d. in the previous four years. Between July 15, 2017 and September 14, 2021, he or she must have obtained a Ph.d.
On the online application, candidates must submit their Ph.D. or DM degree certificate/provisional Ph.D. or DM certificate.
Candidates must have a reputed journals publication and provide evidence of exceptional academic and professional performance. S/he must submit an online application (no more than 30 pages) with a recent noteworthy publication (copy of paper/article).
If the applicant is employed, must carefully follow the employer’s endorsement guidelines. Obtain the necessary administrative authority’s endorsement on the Letter of Support from Home Institution, if applicable.
Academic and Professional Excellence
Faculty/researchers must have a Ph.D. or comparable published work, as well as a minimum of five years of relevant teaching/research experience.
Outside of academics, professionals must have a master’s degree or equivalent published work with recognised professional standing, as well as five years of relevant experience.
Upload a recent significant publication (copy of paper/article) in the online application (not exceeding 30 pages)
Must follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement.
The employer must confirm that leave during the fellowship time will be given.
How to Apply
Doctoral Research: Applications must be submitted online at:
Postdoctoral Research: Applications must be submitted online at:
Academic and Professional Excellence: Applications must be submitted online at:
7. The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians
One of the most well-known scholarship programmes is the JN Tata Endowment Scholarship. If you want to pursue higher education at an international university anywhere in the globe, you can apply for this government scholarship for students. Since 1892, the JN Tata Endowment for Indian Higher Education has provided loan scholarships to Indian students pursuing higher education.
The scholarship amount might range from INR 1,00,000 to INR 10,00,000, depending on whether the student meets the eligibility conditions. Scholars can also be recommended for a gift scholarship worth INR 75,000. The amount of a gift scholarship is determined by the student’s academic achievement at their university. However, you will be required to repay the scholarship in 20 percent equal installments. Repayment can commence between the third and seventh years of residency if you are a citizen. If you begin earning money before your third year, you will be required to begin repaying the government scholarship.
- Candidates must be Indian citizens
- Aged 45 or less
- Must completed at least one undergraduate degree OR who are in the final year of any undergraduate programme at a recognised university/college/institution in India.
- Candidates who have completed their first year of foreign studies and are about to begin their second year (Fall 2022 – Spring 2023) are also eligible to apply. This is only available if the course is at least two years long and there is at least one full academic year left to finish when the loan scholarship is awarded, which is usually in July of any calendar year.
- Must scored at least 60% marks on average in their undergraduate or postgraduate studies.
- The course to which candidates are admitted must be recognised as a Graduate Program (post-graduate in Indian terminology).
How to Apply
Register via email ID. Subsequent correspondence will be via email only.
Eligible candidates will be emailed a one-time password which will be valid for 48 hours. The password must be changed within 48 hours.
Complete the online application form. Candidates must not leave any field blank.
8. GREAT Education Scholarships
The British Council and UK institutions have developed the GREAT Scholarship to help and encourage overseas students to pursue higher education in the UK. This scholarship permits participants to finish their postgraduate(taught) programme at any of the UK universities that participate. For the academic year 2022-2023, UK universities are offering 20 postgraduate scholarships to Indian students in a range of topics.
Each scholarship covers the cost of a one-year postgraduate degree and is worth a minimum of £10,000 in tuition fees.
The GREAT Britain Campaign of the UK government and the British Council, in collaboration with partnering UK higher education institutions, sponsor each scholarship. The duration will be of one year.
- India, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and Turkey are eligible countries for the scholarship
- Applicant must completed Under Graduate degree in own home country.
- To pursue a master’s/postgraduate (taught) degree in the United Kingdom, you must be motivated and academically outstanding.
- Obtain an IELTS or similar exam score to meet the English language requirements of the prospective UK university.
- Chosen postgraduate program must begin in September.
How to Apply
Prior to applying for the scholarship, applicants must first get admission to their preferred (and qualifying) UK university. They must complete GREAT Scholarship on the university’s website after obtaining admission confirmation.
- Complete the online application form.
- Provide the required student supporting documents
9. Scholarships by The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust
The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust provides tuition price scholarships to Indian women graduates of reputable universities who wish to pursue further education overseas. Depending on the student’s achievement, a gift scholarship for the tuition fee component is provided, ranging from Rs. 3 lakhs to Rs. 6 lakhs per student.
The scholarship program is available to master’s degree programmes at universities in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Europe.
All Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust Scholarship candidates must present documentation of available funds, demonstrating that they can meet their program’s fees and additional living expenses. Furthermore, the trust will not help grantees in completing their visa applications for the United States or the United Kingdom. Selections for the Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust Scholarships will be made after an interview session in Mumbai.
- Indian women graduate from a reputed university
- Have a consistently remarkable academic record
- Must have applied for admission/ secured admission to reputed universities or institutions in the United States, UK or Europe for the year 2021-2022
- Work experience of a minimum of 2 years preferred
How to Apply
Request for an application form may be made by sending an email to email@example.com along with the details and documents as requested in the para given below. Incomplete requests from candidates will not be considered by the Trust office and further correspondence will not be entertained.
The email should include the documents mentioned below:
- The course they wish to pursue
- The name/s of the university/ies to be attended, in order of merit, with letter of confirmed admission, if available
- The course fee required for each university
- Sources of funding (in brief – a page)
- Their current profile (biodata)