All you need to know about a career in Data Science: Is a career in Data Science worth it in 2022? How can you master the skills of a data scientist? Is a degree in Data Science helpful?
Everything that you need to know about a data science career has been mentioned in this article. Keep reading to learn more about this field.
Before indulging in the broader aspects of Data Science let us first know what Data Science actually is. Well, in simplest terms Data Science is the use of modern tools and techniques that break down complex data into simpler forms and figure out unseen patterns in them to derive meaning out of the data. It is an interdisciplinary field that combines maths and statistics, specialized programming, advanced analytics, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and machine learning with designated subject matter expertise to find out valuable insights hidden in an organization’s data.
If you’re wondering whether a career in data science is fruitful in today’s day and age then the answer to this is a big fat yes. With the right learning decisions and proper guidance, Data Science can be a great choice of career for you. But, unlike most traditional career paths, landing a worthwhile career in data science can be really tricky. The popularity of Data Science keeps on blooming with the growing use of technology. But, the secret behind being a successful data scientist isn’t laid out yet, it is unknown whether majoring in Data Science will assure you success in the field or will it be in hand experience instead.
There are many ways you can master the skills of a data scientist and that doesn’t necessarily depend on having a master’s degree in Data Science.
Below is a set of few ways that you can kick start a career in Data Science –
- The first way is to gain as much experience as possible. Data Science is one of those fields wherein you learn the best when you actually take up a job as a data analyst or a data scientist.
- Secondly, this is one such field wherein self-learning helps. The one good thing that has come out of the pandemic is students acquiring the habit of self-learning and this habit is quite beneficial if you’re willing to choose a career in data science.
- Third, It is advisable that you follow the footsteps and try to learn from the experts in this field, and in order to do so, you just need to keep an eye on their social media handles, read their publications, and have enough interest to master the skills of Data Science. It’s that easy. Some of the well-known names in this field are Geoffrey Hinton, Fei-Fei Li, Kira Radinsky, Jeff Hammerbacher, Dhanurjay Patil, Alex Sandy Pentland, Dean Abbott, etc.
- The fourth is of course gaining a degree in Data Science but this degree can be utilized to its optimum level only when fueled by credible work experience in the field.
- The fifth is that you gain as much knowledge of Computer Science and Statistics as possible. Data Science is an amalgamation of multiple disciplines thus making it one of the most sought-after careers. The two major disciplines involved are Statistics and Computer science so it is advisable that you acquire enough knowledge on both these disciplines to master the skills of being a data scientist. Having enough knowledge of either one of these disciplines is sufficient but having knowledge about both is ideal to succeed smoothly in this job.
Now if you’re wondering whether a full-time master’s degree in Data Science is going to be helpful for you. Well, that totally depends on how deeply invested you are in exploring this field. The value of a degree in Data Science necessarily depends on your personal interest in the field of Data Science. It is advisable that before indulging yourself and signing up for a master’s degree in Data Science it is very important that you explore the field a little bit and see whether it is the right fit for you or not. This is crucial because gaining some sort of work experience in the field will direct you to a more grounded decision on whether or not you should be choosing a master’s degree to study more about Data Science. If you want to earn more than you are earning as an intermediate data scientist then definitely a master’s degree is going to boost up your earnings but in order to actually master this field you must have thorough knowledge about data science and for that work experience comes in handy more than a full-fledged degree. Even the experts of this field say so. However, if you do choose to pursue a degree in Data Science abroad in 2022 the degree will definitely be worth your time. You only have to make sure to grasp all that you learn and apply them to practice. Data Science is one of those careers wherein you learn pragmatically meaning, the more you apply the knowledge you gain the more you master this skill. Sounds fun, right? It is indeed.
A career path in Data Science when done right will always remain a great choice. Data scientists, the people who study data, are one of the highest in-demand jobs in today’s era. In the tech business, the role of a data scientist is one of the fast-growing and highest-paid jobs. In fact, U.S News and World’s Report’s annual job ranking list stated that Data scientists ranked 3’rd in Best Technology jobs, 6’th in Best STEM jobs, and 6’th again in overall best jobs. But, it is not entirely clear as to what degree one should pursue in order to land a successful career in Data Science.
This proves that Data science is an ever-growing business and in the future, the demand for data scientists is only going to keep growing. Hence, if you properly indulge yourself in this field and sharpen your skills to the fullest by gaining as much experience as you possibly can then having a promising career in Data Science is easily achievable.