The LLM in US provides foreign-educated lawyers exposure to US law school for one year. In the course of their LLM program, students learn how traditional US law is practiced. Courses emphasize the aspects of the legal profession that form the heart of the American Law School culture in order to teach LLM students how US lawyers think about the law. 

Top 15 Universities for LLM in US 

  1. Stanford University
  2. Harvard University 
  3. University of Chicago
  4. University of Columbia
  5. Yale University
  6. University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
  7. University of California, Berkeley
  8. New York University (NYU)
  9. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
  10. University of Southern California – USC Gould School of Law 
  11. University of Pennsylvania (UPenn) – Carey Law School
  12. Cornell University 
  13. University of Virginia 
  14. Duke University 
  15. Vanderbilt University 

Application Requirement 


  • Juris Doctor (JD) from an ABA-approved US Law School or first degree (JD, LLB or equivalent) from a foreign law school
  • Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale or 83% at bachelors level (varies with the university)
  • Around 2 years of work experience (depends upon university)
  • Proof of English proficiency

Documents Required 

  • Transcripts of 10th, 12th and bachelors degree
  • Evaluation of foreign transcripts by LSAC’s LLM Credential Assembly Service (CAS)
  • Minimum 2 letters of recommendations
  • Essays based on the questions asked by the university
  • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • English Proficiency Requirement
    • TOEFL (iBT): 100 
    • IELTS: 7.0

You may also like: Free Education in Germany? Here’s the Truth

Application Process 

A JD, LLB, or bachelor’s degree in law is required for admission in LLM in this country. Most law schools have their own portal for accepting applications. Students should send their  transcripts for evaluation to LSAC’s LLM CAS 3 to 5 weeks before applying so that the agency  could complete the evaluation on time and forward it to the university. All the other  documents must be directly submitted to the university’s address either via post or mail.

If you want to know more about studying in USA, you can check this post: Study in USA.