Written by Great British Mag a digital magazine for international students moving to the UK.

If you are considering moving to the UK or have secured a place at a UK university then these are the eight things you should know before your move.

You will need to apply for a student visa

Regardless of where you will be coming from you will need to apply for the student visa. This visa is for any student that will be moving to the UK for more than six months, regardless of the level of their studies.

If you are moving to the UK for less than six months, then you need to apply for the short-term study visa.

The cost of living can vary dramatically

Choose the city carefully as your livings cost can vary dramatically. On the whole cities in the South are more expensive than those in the North.

Working out a budget will help you and there are apps and online tools, including the International Student Calculator, to help you forecast how much your regular expenses will amount to. Also, ask your university the local cost for accommodation as this can vary a lot from region to region.

You will have access to free healthcare

After you pay the NHS surcharge, you will be entitled to see a doctor, get treated in hospital for a new or ongoing medical issue and receive emergency treatment for free. You will also be able to buy medicine prescribed by a doctor or the hospital at a subsidised cost.

You have first refusal on university accommodation

In most cases the university will offer you accommodation that is either on campus or near to the campus, and this is often a lot cheaper than other accommodation options.

Furthermore, the accommodation may come with an option to include your meals which will save you time and money. However, be sure to respond to the university before the deadline to ensure you secure a place.

Student travel is subsidised

As a student your travel is subsidised and you will be able to purchase a student Travelcard, wherever you move to in the UK, which will entitle you to a 30% discount on the cost of travel by bus, train and tram in your local area.

You can also get 30% off national train fares by applying for a 16-25 railcard. And 25% off travel to 33 countries across Europe by applying for a Eurorail card.

You can work and study

Under the student visa you will be able to work up to 20 hours during term time and an unlimited number of hours outside of term time. You can also apply for a post-study visa which means you will be able to stay in the country for up to two years, after you graduate, to work at any level and in any profession. Do not expect teachers to tell you what to do

One of the distinguishing factors about education in the UK is that it encourages students to study independently and whilst you will attend lectures and seminars you will be left to work through the topics at your own speed and under your own initiative.

The UK is made up of four countries

The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. These four parts of the country have different accents and in Wales they speak Welsh as well as English. You will also notice differences in food, culture and even the laws.