As we have mentioned above, the new SAT test format 2019 consists of three sections, which are the Experience-based reading and writing section, Mathematics and the optional essay section. To explain the SAT exam format better, we have further described each of the sections individually in detail.
Evidence-based reading and writing (EBRW) section:
This section of the SAT examination evaluates your English language skills and gives a score between 200-800. It is further divided into reading and writing sections, while the final score determined by the combined score of both these sections.
A. Reading section:
The reading section of the SAT exam is 65 minutes long and comprises of 52 multiple-choice questions. These questions based on 5 passages and all questions are evidence-based that require the student to analyze and interpret the information given in the passages.
Passages may be single or paired with informational graphics such as charts or tables. The passages are drawn from the US and World Literature, History/Social Studies and Science. You are expected to read the passage carefully and answer the questions properly in a way as expected or asked in the questions.
The questions asked in this section are generally of three types, i.e Factual questions based directly or indirectly on the main idea of the passage, Rhetoric questions that will ask you to discuss the meaning, style or tone conveyed in the passage and the Synthesis questions that will ask you to draw a conclusion or connection between given passages, graphics, charts or tables.
B. Writing Section:
The Writing and Language section of the SAT is 35 minutes long and comprises of 44 multiple choice questions based on 4 passages. This section focuses on your ability to analyze and edit the content of the passage, which means you will have to correct grammar and make changes in the passage. You are asked to edit/rectify errors in sentences within the passage, identify sentences that correct the misinterpretation of a graphical data, select sentences that sharpen an argument or add relevant supporting detail.
Some passages are accompanied by informational graphics, such as tables, graphs and charts. The passages appearing in this section of the examination are narrative, informative, explanatory and argumentative, one of each sort.
The questions asked in this section can be categorised as Standard English Convention questions where you will be asked to correct grammatical errors and punctuation errors in the given passage and the questions based on Expression of Idea, where you will be asked to improve the language of the passage along with improving the structure and organization of the idea depicted in the passage.
C. SAT Mathematics section:
The Mathematics section of the SAT examination evaluates your mathematical reasoning skills and you will be graded in a score range of 200-800 points. This Section is 80 minutes long and contains 58 questions, of which 80% of the questions are multiple-choice, but the remaining 20% questions are student-produced response questions which are known as Grid-ins, where instead of choosing from 4 answer choices the student will have to solve the problem and enter an answer by circling/shading the appropriate numbers.
This section can be broken down into a No Calculator and a Calculator Section, where the No Calculator section contains 15 multiple choice questions and 5 grid-ins and the Calculator Section contain 30 multiple choice questions and 8 grid-ins. You will be provided with a set of formulas before the test for reference.
The Math test is divided into 4 main areas:
(1) Heart of Algebra, where you will be asked to create or solve algebraic equations like linear equations.
(2) Problem Solving and Data Analysis, where you will be expected to solve questions using ratios, percentages and proportional reasoning or interpret data for given graphs and tables.
(3) Passport to Advanced Math, where you will be expected to solve complex mathematical equations and functions.
(4) Additional topics in Mathematics which include questions based on geometry, Trigonometry and Area & Volume.
D. Essay Section (Optional):
The New SAT has included an optional 50 minutes long Essay section in the examination. Even though it is optional we would recommend you to take the SAT exam with the Essay as some schools may require the essay score.
In this section, you will be provided with a passage and will be asked to analyse how the author effectively builds his or her argument. The essay will not require you to write about a personal experience or argue with a position; rather it requires you to understand the techniques used by the author to write persuasively and support your explanation with evidence from the passage.